Access to Military Discharge Documents
Access to Military Discharge documents is now limited as of October 1, 2002 due to military ID theft. These documents are required to be kept confidential for 75 years after the date they are filed, separate and apart from other records.
- Access to these records is available only to the following people and groups:
- Veteran subject of the record or the conservator of their estate or person
- People who need the information to provide a benefit, if they submit satisfactory evidence of the need to the agency
- People who acquire a benefit on behalf of the veteran or their estate
- State librarian in the performance of his duties
- State incorporated or authorized genealogical society of its members
- Individuals as provided by law
The Military Discharge papers must be filed with this office as a resident of the Town of Hamden before any determination of benefits can be made by the Assessor’s office. For access to such records, view the Military Discharge Access Form (PDF). There is no charge to file or for a copy of a filed military discharge. Original DD214s and certified copies of DD214s will be accepted as proof of prior service in the military.
Dates of Entitlement
Veterans who served in the military during a time of war, and own property or cars in the Town of Hamden must file their military discharges with the Town Clerk's office in order to receive tax exemptions. The Assessor’s office will make the final determination of the veteran’s benefits available.
Times of War
The following dates are determined to be time of war by SEC. 27-103:
|War||Term of War|
|Spanish-American War||April 21, 1898 to August 13, 1898|
|Philippine Insurrection||August 13, 1898 to July 4, 1902|
|Moro Province Engagement||August 13, 1898 to July 15, 1903|
|Boxer Rebellion||June 20, 1900 to May 12, 1901|
|Cuban Pacification||September 12, 1906 to April 1, 1909|
|Nicaraguan Campaign||August 28, 1912 to November 2, 1913|
|Haitian Campaign||July 9, 1915 to December 6, 1915|
|Punitive Expedition to Mexico||March 10, 1916 to April 6, 1917|
|World War I||April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918|
|Service in Russia||April 6, 1917 to April 1, 1920|
|World War II||December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946|
|Korean Hostilities||June 27, 1950 to January 31, 1955|
|South Korea Demilitarized Zone||After February 1, 1955|
|Lebanon Conflict||July 1, 1958 to November 1, 1958|
|Vietnam Era||February 28, 1961 to July 1, 1975|
|Berlin Airlift||August 14, 1961 to June 1, 1962|
|Lebanon Peace-Keeping Mission||September 29, 1982 to March 30, 1984|
|Invasion of Grenada||October 25, 1983 to December 15, 1983 2|
|Operation Earnest Will||February 1, 1987 to July 23, 1987|
|Invasion of Panama||December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990 2|
|Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm||August 2, 1990 to June 30, 1994 3|
|Somalia||After December 2, 1992|
|Bosnia||After December 20,1995|
- Pursuant to Section 12-86, twelve o'clock midnight on December 31, 1947 is the World War II termination date for purposes of granting a property tax exemption.
- A person must serve in a combat or combat support role for the duration of any campaign lasting less than 90 days in order to qualify for a property tax exemption. An Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal is awarded to such individuals.
- Active duty service personnel first became eligible for an exemption based on service in Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm, while that campaign was ongoing. Individuals who received an exemption based on receipt of an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for service in Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm continue to be eligible even though they do not meet the 90-day service requirement.
Duplicate copies of DD214s can be obtained by requesting and completing a Standard Form 180 (SF 180), Request Pertaining to Military Records, to:
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
The form may obtained by calling 800-827-1000.
For further assistance with regard to veteran exemptions and specific requirements for additional benefits, please call the Assessor's office at 203-287-2520.