Notary Public Fees & Services
The Town Clerk's office in Hamden offers Notary Public Services.
The Notary Public is a public official appointed by the Secretary of the State through the power vested in the Secretary by state law. The Notary has the power to administer oaths, take acknowledgments and perform other duties as permitted by law.
We offer the following services, though :
- We can administer an oath.
- We can take acknowledgements and witness signatures.
- We can take an affidavit.
There are certain statutory requirements necessary before we can provide our services. You must:
- Be personally known to us
- Show absolute proof as to your identity by showing any of the following:
- Driver's License or other Photo ID
- Birth Certificate and Social Security Card
Items Unable to Be Notarized
We cannot notarize the following because of liability issues:
- Anything, from anyone, who is not appearing before us in person
- Birth, death, or marriage certificates not on file in our office
- A conveyance of land or property for Hamden property
- A will- health, living general wills or power of attorney
Please remember that we must observe the law and the legally required standard of "Reasonable Care" to protect all parties involved. Consequently, we do reserve the right to modify these services as necessary. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
Notary Public Recording Fees
There is a $5 charge for each document notarized.
Original commission of notary public, must be recorded in the town of residence of the notary and additionally may be recorded in the town or towns in which the notary does business. A signature card must be completed in our office, so that it must be done in person. The fee to record is $20 as of July 1, 2018 per PA 18-136.
To see all the "Notary Public Recording Fees" please see the Notary Public Section under the Basic Fees Schedule (PDF).