Tax Bill Instructions
The Tax Collector's office is located at 2750 Dixwell Ave, corner of Evergreen Ave. Office hours are 8:30AM to 4:30PM Monday through Friday. Please, take a minute to review ithe following information regarding your tax bill.
Real Estate, Motor Vehicle and Personal Property Bills are 3 part bills.
- Coupon to be returned with your July (first) payment
- Coupon to be returned with your January (second) payment (if applicable)
- Taxpayer Copy to be retained for your records (or to be receipted upon payment)
If a bank or mortgage company is responsible for paying your Real Estate Taxes, please contact them if the Real Estate Tax Bill was mailed to you.
Some important information :
- This will be the only tax bill that you will receive. If you are paying in two installments, please save the second coupon for the January installment, as no additional bill will be mailed at that time.
- Tax bills under $250.00 are due July 1, 2012 in one installment.
- If payment is not made on or before Aug. 1st,2012 the first installment will be delinquent. The second installment and/or the supplemental bill will be delinquent if payment is not made on or before Feb. 1st, 2013. For payments made after these due dates, please call 287-7140 for the new total due.
- Tax bills are subject to a penalty of 1 ½ % per month from the original due date of the installment. Minimum interest is $2.00. Connecticut law places the responsibility of prompt payment on the taxpayer even if you did not receive a bill. Please call us if you think you are missing a bill.
When making payment :
- We encourage you to pay by mail. Our mailing address has been changed to : PO Box 1501426 Hartford, CT 06115-0426. Please update your records accordingly.
- Envelopes must be postmarked prior to the delinquent date to be considered on time.
- You may add up all your bills and write one check payable to Collector of Taxes – Hamden.
- If you pay in person, bring the entire bill to the Tax Collector's Office.
- If "back taxes due" appears on your bill, please call 203-287-7140 before making payment.
- Please use the return envelope provided to mail in your payment.
- Your cancelled check is your receipt. However, if you desire an additional receipt, please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope and all copies of your bill.
- Payments may be made by cash, check or official bank check. Credit card payments can be made through the Official Payments Corp. link (www.OfficialPayments.com) or by telephone at 1-800-272-9829 (use jurisdiction code 1785). Official Payments charges a fee to the taxpayer for this service. Payments are accepted on current bills only and you must provide your account number listed on your bill.
If you no longer own your vehicle, or for assessment or exemption questions, please contact the Assessor's Office (203) 287-7128.
Town of Hamden
Office of the Tax Collector