Department of Community Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can you help me with fuel assistance?
A: The Keefe Center can provide fuel assistance to persons up to 59 years of age. Income documentation is required. Once someone is 60 years of age or over, please call Elderly Services at 287-2547 for fuel assistance.

Q: Do you offer food for Thanksgiving and Christmas?
A: You must call 562-5129. Documentation of residency and family members is required.

Q: What if I get an eviction notice?
A: If you live in Hamden, you may call the Keefe Center at 562-5129 to see if there is an eviction pending.

Q: Do you offer rental or mortgage assistance?
A: When funding is available, we can provide one-month rent to families who meet the program guidelines. Call 562-5129

Q: Do you have a listing of apartment rentals?
A: No, but we will provide referrals on a case-by-case basis.

Q: Where do I go for welfare services?
A: The Department of Social Services at 974-8414 for families with children and SAGA at 867-8064 for single adults would be readily available to assist you.

Q: Do you provide medical, mental health or alcohol and drug counseling?
A: No, but we will assist you in accessing the appropriate services based on your needs.

Q: Do you provide scholarships?
A: We provide scholarships for Hamden children to attend Hamden summer camp programs. You must provide income documentation to qualify.

Q: What types of events does the Keefe Center offer?
A: The Keefe Center offers family based events such as “Family Movie Night, PACL programs (Parent and Communities for kids, and Kids Fest.

Q: Can local groups use the Keefe Center?
A: People in the community are welcome to use the facility.

Hamden Government Center • 2750 Dixwell Avenue • Hamden, CT 06518 • 203.287.7000