Department of Personnel and Civil Service

Hamden Government Center
2750 Dixwell Avenue
Hamden, CT 06518
Phone: (203) 287-7130

Personnel and Civil Service Director: Kenneth S. Kelley

The Personnel/Civil Service Department is responsible for the recruitment and testing for all civil service positions included in the Classified Service for both the Town and the Hamden Board of Education. The Personnel Department is also responsible for the recruitment and filling of Non-classified positions outside of Civil Service for the Town of Hamden. The Personnel/Civil Service Department also administers the Life Insurance and Health Insurance benefits for all Town employees and their covered dependents and all retirees and their covered dependents. In addition, the Personnel Department also administers the Town's 100 million dollar pension fund including calculating retirement benefits for all Town and Board of Education employees, return of pension contributions and rollover of pension funds for all Town and Board of Education employees.

The Personnel/Civil Service Department consists of a Personnel Director/Executive Secretary to the Civil Service Commission, an Affirmative Action/EEO Consultant, an Administrative Secretary and a Benefits Technician. The Personnel Director represents the Town in all labor relations negotiations, complaints before the State Board of Labor Relations, grievance hearings before the State Board of Mediation and Arbitration, and unemployment hearings before the State Employment Division. The Personnel Director also works directly with the Town's Risk Manager regarding Workers' Compensation related matters and attends hearings before the Workers' Compensation Commission. Looking to work for the Town of Hamden? Please visit here for a current list of job openings. The Town of Hamden is an AA/EEO Employer.

Retirement benefits are administered by a third party through the Human Resource Department for employees in the Town Pension Plan.

Retirement benefits for employee’s retired through the CMERS plan are administered through the State.

Teachers retire benefits are administered through the State Teachers Retirement Board.

For the Personnel/Civil Service Frequently Asked Questions click HERE.

Additional Links:

Hamden Government Center • 2750 Dixwell Avenue • Hamden, CT 06518 • 203.287.7000