Public Works - FAQ's

Q: When is the Transfer Station open?
Effective 8/1/08, the Transfer Station on Wintergreen Avenue is open M-F, 7:30 A.M. - 3:00 P.M and the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month from 8AM - 11:45AM.  Inclement weather may cause temporary closing. Call the Transfer Station at 203-387-2435.

Q: How do I get to the Transfer Station?
Go south on Dixwell Avenue, right onto Arch Street, left onto Fitch Street, right onto Wintergreen Avenue (which is the intersection just in front of the pedestrian overpass). Gate is ½ mile on the right.

Q: What do I need to get access to the Transfer Station?
No commercial use allowed. No vehicles larger than a pickup truck. You must show proof of Hamden residency. Proof consists of driver's license showing Hamden residence, or if recently moved to town, copy of bill with your name and address.

Q: What materials are accepted at the Transfer Station?
: All curbside recyclables (sorted into categories); scrap metal (appliances, empty paint cans, other metal items); waste motor oil; mattresses, furniture, household furnishings, leaves, brush, tires (limit of four per year per household) and electronics (for proper recycling).  You may wish to remove the hard drive from computers prior to disposal. A limited amount of remodeling or construction waste is permitted. On-site staff determines acceptable quantities.

The Transfer Station has the right to refuse entrance or usage of Transfer Station. Please inquire first, before taking items to Transfer Station.  

Call (203) 387-2435 for further information. A single appliance or plumbing fixture will be accepted. For larger quantities, the homeowner must rent a dumpster. Other materials not accepted at the Transfer Station include: regular household trash (must be put out for weekly collection at curb), grass clippings, batteries (take rechargeable batteries to Radio Shack, other household batteries to HazWaste Central, and car batteries to a retailer), household hazardous waste, propane tanks. Click on HazWaste Central for further information on disposal of household hazardous waste. Or call HazWaste Central at 401-2712.

Q: When is Bulk Trash pick-up?
Effective July 1, 2006, the Town of Hamden revised its bulk trash pick-up policy. Residents are allowed to put out bulk trash during the months of April and October. The bulk trash policy was modified in an attempt to improved services to Town residents resulting in, if followed properly, a cleaner appearance for our Town. Please see the Bulk Trash Pick-up Policy for complete information.

Q: When is Leaf pick-up?
Leaf Pick up is done twice a year in late April/early May and November. Leaves need to be bagged in brown paper bags and left at the curb.

Q: Which Holidays affect trash and recycling pick-up?
New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Collection for the holiday and the remainder of the week are delayed by one day if these holidays fall on a weekday.  If the holiday falls on a weekend, trash and recycling collection schedules remain unchanged.

Q: How can I dispose of my grass clippings?
It is illegal to dispose of grass clippings in the trash, or at the Transfer Station. The easiest and best option is to leave grass clippings on the lawn where they will decompose and act as a natural fertilizer. A mulching lawnmower, or a mulching blade on your lawnmower, will chop up the grass.

Hamden Government Center • 2750 Dixwell Avenue • Hamden, CT 06518 • 203.287.7000