Marriage Licenses Access:

Any one 18 years of age or older may obtain a copy of any marriage certificate. The social security numbers of the bride and groom must be redacted prior to issuance, except to the following parties:

  • Bride
  • Groom
  • Registrar of Town of Occurrence of wedding
  • Registrar of Town of Residence
  • Department of Public Health
  • Other persons as authorized by the commissioner of Public Health
An original copy of a marriage license is on file in the Town Clerk’s office in the town the wedding occurred and a copy in the town of residence.

The Social Security Administration will need a certified copy of the marriage certificate in order to change a name on their records. The license does not make an automatic name change.

Requests may be made in writing, via mail, or in person during regular office hours. EMAIL REQUEST CANNOT BE HONORED. A copy of photo I.D. must accompany request.

Marriage License fee is $50.00 as of 7/1/18 per PA18-136. A copy of a marriage license is $20.00 as of 10/1/09, and the Town Clerk/Registrar of Vital Statistics may issue only certified copies of marriage certificates.

To Download the "Marriage License Application Process & Restrictions Document", Marriage License Worksheet" or "Request for Marriage Certificate" please click Applications & Forms.

For information on Justices of the Peace please click Hamden Justices of the Peace.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, may you have good luck, good health and much love.


Hamden Government Center • 2750 Dixwell Avenue • Hamden, CT 06518 • 203.287.7000