Public Works

Workers paving a road

The Public Works Department has a big job making sure the Town-owned buildings, grounds, roads, and property look their best and functions at their best. 


The responsibilities include tasks such as:

  • Pot Holes
  • Removing Deceased Animals (on Town Property Only)
    • If a deceased animal is found on your property you must dispose of it on your own. Deceased domestic animals found on your property can be taken care of by Animal Control, call 203-230-4080.
  • Replacing Catch Basins
  • Road/Curb Repair
  • Snow Plowing/Sanding (View the Town's Snow Policy (PDF))
  • Stormwater Drainage System Cleanout
  • Street Sweeping
  • Transfer Station
  • Tree Removal
  • Tree Trimming for Town Trees

Streets Not Included

Hamden Public Works is not responsible for the following streets:

  • Arch Street (from Dixwell to Fairview)
  • Dixwell Avenue
  • State Street
  • Whitney Avenue

These are State controlled roads. If you have any concerns regarding any of these roads (including pot holes, trees on the road, etc.) please call the State Department of Transportation at 407-0526.

Leaf Composting & Brush Permit

Hamden holds a state leaf composting and brush permit. Both leaves and brush are recycled at the Wintergreen Avenue Transfer Station into usable mulch, available at no cost to residents.

Public Works Route Maps

A map showing public works routes can be found below and at this link: Public Works Route Map