Tax Bill Instructions
Pay Bills Online
Taxpayers may now view or pay bills at Hamden’s My Tax Bill website. As of November 1, 2014, there will be a charge of $0.50 per page for copies of tax bills and payment histories.
Real Estate, Motor Vehicle & Personal Property Bills
Real estate, motor vehicle, and personal property bills are three-part bills.
The first coupon to be returned with your July payment. A taxpayer copy can be retained for your records and for income tax filing. The second payment coupon can be used with your January payment (if applicable). Two installment bills may be paid in full in July.
If a bank or mortgage company is responsible for paying your Real Estate Taxes, please contact them if the Real Estate Tax Bill was mailed to you.
- This will be the only tax bill that you will receive. If you are paying in two installments, please save the second coupon for the January installment, as no additional bill will be mailed at that time. Two installment bills may be paid in full in July.
- Tax bills under $250 are due July 1st in one installment.
- If payment is not made on or before August 1, 2022, the first installment will be delinquent. The second installment and/or the supplemental bill will be delinquent if payment is not made on or before February 1, 2023. For payments made after these due dates, please call 203-287-7140 for the new total due.
- Tax bills are subject to a penalty of 1.5% per month (18% per annum) from the original due date of the installment. Minimum interest is $2. Connecticut law places the responsibility of prompt payment on the taxpayer even if you did not receive a bill. Please call us if you think you are missing a bill. Any delinquent bill can be turned over to a collection agency.
Tips When Making Payments
- If "back taxes due" appears on your bill, please call 203-287-7140 before making payment.
- If you no longer own your vehicle, or for assessment or exemption questions, please contact the Assessor’s Office 203-287-7128.
- We encourage you to pay ONLINE at www.hamden.com for fastest and most efficient processing. If you pay online with your checking account, there is a very nominal convenience fee of $0.95. The credit/debit card fee is 2.95%. If you have back taxes due for Motor Vehicles, the online option is not available to you. For mail payments, our mailing address for July and January only: PO Box 150426 Hartford, CT 06115-0426. For the remainder of the year, please send to us directly: 2750 Dixwell Ave, Hamden CT 06518. Envelopes must be postmarked prior to the delinquent date to be considered on time.
- You may add up all your bills and write one check payable to Collector of Taxes, Hamden. Please write the list number(s) on your check, as well as a phone number.
- When paying in the office, we accept cash, check or official bank check (no credit/debit cards), although we encourage you to utilize alternate payment options (online, mail or drop box), rather than coming into the building.
- Please expect extra time for processing drop box payments, although they will be credited, for interest purposes, on the date received.
- Your cancelled check is your receipt. Receipts are no longer available for mail payments. You may easily print a receipt for yourself on our website at www.hamden.com, after your mail or drop box payment has posted.