This office is often a resident’s first introduction to Hamden through the recording of a land transaction for their property, filing of vital records for their family, registering as a new voter or filing a new business trade name. The family dog is licensed here in June every year.
The Town Clerk is best described as the guardian of Hamden’s past, present and future as the keeper of the town permanent records.
- Recording and processing of Hamden’s land records
- Recording liquor permit applications
- Recording veteran’s military discharge papers
- Registering new Notary Publics
Registrar of Vital Statistics
As Registrar of Vital Statistics, certified copies of birth, death and marriage certificates are issued.
Chiefs Election Official
The Town Clerk is also a chief Elections Official, working closely with the Registrars of Voters. The office:
- Administrates of oaths of office for elected officials, appointed guardian employees, and appointed members of Hamden’s Boards and Commission
- Creates ballots for elections
- Maintains the complex absentee ballot system
- Submits election totals on Election Day
This elected two-year office is often cast in the role of public relations officer, helping to educate the public about the workings of Town Hall.
Freedom of Information
Hamden’s meeting agendas are posted in this office per Freedom of Information guidelines, and all minutes are filed for permanent public record.
No cell phones are allowed in office or in vault area.
- Land Record Copies - $1 per page
- Freedom of Information Copies - $0.50 per page.
- Notary Fees - $5 per document
- Only certified copies of vital records can be issued at $20 each - Marriage license fees are $50 as of July 1, 2018
- RECORDING FEES CHECKS MUST BE EXACT AMOUNT. – NO CHANGE WILL BE GIVEN.
- RECORDING FEES FOR LAND RECORDS INCREASED FROM $53.00 To $60.00 FOR THE FIRST PAGE, AND $5.00 PER ADDITIONAL PAGE PER DOCUMENT as of December 1, 2017.
- Map filing is $20
- Subdivision map filing is $30 as of July 1, 2018