- 7 p.m.
- 1st Wednesday of every month
- Hamden Government Center
Third Floor Conference Room
2750 Dixwell Avenue
Hamden, CT 06518
View the 2019 Arts Commission Calendar (PDF)
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
This fifteen member commission shall have no more than 10 members of the same political party. This three-year appointment is recommended by the Mayor, subject to the approval of the Legislative Council.
- James Brewster
- Diane X. Brown
- Loraine Brown
- Siobhan-Carter David
- Donna Elkin
- Jorge Fernandez
- Marita Gargiulo
- Valerie Horsely
- Janet Hunter
- Lois K. Jason
- Ruth Resnick Johnson
- Charles Kortsep
- Cheryl Riello
- Sandra G. Schiff
- Nancy Torello
- Gerry Tobin, Clerk
Our founding ordinance of 1981 stipulates our mission: “to stimulate, facilitate, coordinate and cooperate with existing organizations for the development of the arts. It shall serve as an information center and focal point in the community for activities in the arts.”
The Hamden Arts Commission will facilitate the development of the arts in Hamden through programs and project development and presentation, and by serving as a cultural information and resource center. We view our efforts as important components of community and economic initiatives which contribute to Hamden's being an attractive place to live and a worthwhile place to visit.
- To add two or three new programs
- At the request of Mayor Henrici, a return of Hamden's Festive Thanksgiving
- An outdoor movie at Meadowbrook, held in September in collaboration with Parks & Recreation and Community Services Departments
- A ticketed concert at Hamden High School similar to the opera concert we hosted this year, which would be designed to mostly pay for itself
- To aggressively seek outside funds from granting organizations, corporations and business to make our mission possible.
- To complete the remaining work on the Hamden Rotary Pavilion:
- Better protection of the electrical boxes
- Improvements to the grass surrounding it
- Whatever additions to landscaping are possible with remaining grant monies
- To continue to collaborate with the Hamden Chamber of Commerce on the exploration of tourism initiatives or Hamden.
- To continue to offer support and assistance to numerous individuals and groups interested in any form of cultural enrichment or development.
- To continue to provide the 40-or-so programs that have become annual commitments:
- The four Friday Night Programs for Neglected Arts (poetry, literature, film, etc.)
- The four of five art classes held each spring, and five summer concerts
- The six free movie Nights at the Keefe Center
- The six Saturday Afternoon Family Entertainment programs
- The six Sensational Sunday Series productions designed mostly with the interest of senior citizens in mind
- Special events including Silverbells, Salute to Young Artists, Afternoon Art and Garden Fair, and a family theatrical production by Newington Children's Theater
- To develop an Arts Commission web page in this fiscal year, with grant funds awarded by the Connecticut Commission on Culture and Tourism.