What is the Traffic Authority?
Every Town or City in Connecticut has a Local Traffic Authority (LTA). The Traffic Authority works with CTDOT on traffic related matters on State roads. LTAs are also responsible for many regulatory items on local roads. The Traffic Authority is also referred to as the Parking Division in the Town of Hamden Charter. The Traffic Authority serves concurrently with the Police Commission. It has all the powers of municipal parking authorities under the general provisions of Connecticut General Statutes, Chapter 100, as amended.
Connecticut Department of Transportation's information on Local Traffic Authorities can be found here: https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/Commissions/STC/Local-Traffic-Authority
Citizens, neighborhood associations, schools, organizations, and businesses bring traffic concerns and requests for street signs, lights, or street closings for parades, charity, and neighborhood events to the Commission for considerations, investigation, and action. Such requests should be submitted by the 20th day of the month in order to appear on the next month's agenda. The Commission consults with the Police Chief, Town Engineer, Director of Public Works, and/or Town Planner, who provide recommendations.
Complete Streets Policy
The Town of Hamden Legislative Council passed a resolution in support of the Traffic Authority's complete streets policy. The policy prioritizes a holistic approach to managing the Town's transportation infrastructure. It states that the Town of Hamden is committed to incorporating consideration for multi-modal transportation into the decisions it makes.
Traffic calming requests can be submitted to the Hamden Traffic Authority using the agenda request forms below. Traffic calming requests made to the Traffic Authority will be evaluated and prioritized based on the decision framework outlined in the complete streets policy.
- 2nd Monday of every month
- MEETINGS MAY BE HELD VIRTUALLY ON ZOOM. PLEASE CHECK AGENDA FOR INFORMATION.
- PUBLIC REQUESTS TO BE ON THE TRAFFIC AUTHORITY AGENDA MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE 20TH OF THE PRECEDING MONTH.
- SCROLL DOWN TO FIND THE TRAFFIC AUTHORITY AGENDA REQUEST DIGITAL FORM.
- FOR BLOCK PARTIES AND ADA PARKING SPACES COMPLETE FORMS AND EMAIL TO HTA@HAMDEN.COM
UCONN Crash Database
https://www.ctcrash.uconn.edu/ - Crash data from all municipalities in CT report data to this database. The Town of Hamden reports crash data. Review the data and develop analysis, accounts are free!
T2 Center at UCONN
https://www.cti.uconn.edu/cti/T2Center_Home.asp - Resources for municipalities, residents, and consultants. The CT Training and Technical Assistance Center improves the quality and safety of our surface transportation system through interactive relationships and information exchange.
Vision Zero Council of Connecticut
https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/VisionZeroCouncil/WhatIsTheVisionZeroCouncil - The Vision Zero Council is an inter-agency work group tasked with developing statewide policy to eliminate transportation-related fatalities and severe injuries involving pedestrians, bicyclists, transit users, motorists, and passengers.
Watch For Me CT
https://watchformect.org/ - Each year, about 1,500 pedestrians and 550 bicyclists are hit by cars on Connecticut roadways, leading to serious injuries and fatalities. Watch for Me CT is a statewide campaign aimed at reducing those numbers through awareness, education, and enforcement.
Vaughn M Willis - Chair
Local Traffic Agent - Town Engineer Stephen White, PE
Clerk, Nancy Forvil
To request for an item be placed on the Traffic Authority Agenda please use the forms below with your most up to date contact information.
***At this time speed hump requests have been paused. This pause is temporary and is to allow the Town time to draft a process for requesting traffic calming in communities that incorporates the directives of the Town's recently approved Complete Streets Policy. Your patience is appreciated.
Traffic Authority questions or requests for traffic calming please use the forms below. If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Local Traffic Agent & Town Engineer, Stephen White at firstname.lastname@example.org
All public requests to the Traffic Authority must be submitted by the 20th of the preceding month to be considered for the next Traffic Authority meeting.
NOTICE OF WEIGHT RESTRICTION ON TODD ST.
Effective September 1st, 2021 trucks over 14,000lbs or 7 tons are restricted from traveling on Todd St.
NOTICE OF WEIGHT RESTRICTION ON Connolly Parkway
Effective October 12, 2022 trucks over 58,000 lbs or 29 tons are restricted from traveling on Connolly Parkway.
Please visit www.ct.gov/dot/osta to find more information on the Connecticut Office of State Traffic Authority guidance for local traffic authorities.
- Woodin Street Traffic Calming Study 2021
- New Road 2022 UCONN Crash Data
- Traffic Study for Haverford Street from Lansdowne Ave to Ridge Rd
- Gaylord Mountain Road - 01 -Report (PDF)
- Gaylord Mountain Road (ZIP)
- East-West Traffic Study (PDF)
- Anns Farm Road - Traffic Calming Report (PDF)
- Anns Farm Road - Traffic Calming Map (PDF)
- West Todd Street Evaluation (PDF)
- 2018 Traffic Calming Projects Number 2 (PDF)
- Todd Street Traffic Study (ZIP)
- Todd Street Hamden Traffic Calming (PDF)
- Todd Street Hamden Appendix (PDF)
- Ridge Road Traffic Study Timeline - Final (PDF)
- Ridge Road Traffic Study Recomendations (PDF)
- Ridge Road Traffic Study (PDF)
- Hillfield-Johnson Road (ZIP)
- 01-2018 Hillfield Road at Johnson Road - Traffic Safety Study - Revision 1 (PDF)
- 11-2017 Hillfield Road at Johnson Road - Traffic Safety Study (PDF)
- Hamden Plains, Wintergreen and East Side Traffic Study (PDF)
- Gaylord Mountain Road - 03 - Add (PDF)
- Gaylord Mountain Road - 02 -Appendix (PDF)