Natural Resources & Open Space Commission
The central mission of the Natural Resources and Open Space Advisory is to protect, preserve and enhance the natural resources and environmental quality of the Town of Hamden. It is the commission's desire to represent the will of the people of Hamden in preserving all appropriate open space with its inherent natural resources for ourselves, our children and our children's children. It is our job to defend the defenseless, those things around us that grow and have fur and feathers and cannot speak for themselves.
Natural Resources & Open Space Commission meetings occur at 7:30PM on the last Wednesday of every month at Hamden Government Center, Third Floor Conference Room, 2750 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden CT 06518. *Meetings may be held virtually on Zoom. Check agenda for more information.
Town Charter Rules Regarding Boards & Commissions:
The following is per our Town’s Charter:
- Minority Party Representation: The political affiliation of the members of all appointed Boards or Commissions or panel of alternates shall reflect the requirements of the General Statutes with respect to minority party representation.
- Geographical Areas of the Town: Best efforts shall be made to avoid the appointment of more than 1 member from the same Legislative Council District; however, under no circumstance shall more than 2 members be appointed from the same Legislative Council District.
- Youth Representation: There shall be 2 non-voting positions on each Board and Commission for youths in the Town, ages 15 through 18, regardless of their status in a public or private high school, and they shall be residents of the Town.
- Dual Appointment: No person may serve as an appointed member of more than one Board or Commission at the same time, with the exception of a Charter Revision Commission, other Boards or Commissions of finite duration, or appointment as a representative of the Town on regional entities.
- Limitations of Service: On and after December 1st, 2023:
- No person shall be appointed to a term on any Board or Commission if, at the time of the commencement of such new term, such person shall have served 12 consecutive years on such Board or Commission or, if during the subsequent term, said appointment would result in service in excess of said limitation of service.
- This limitation of service shall be applied to members of Boards and Commissions serving at the effective date of this provision.
- The time served by a person filling a partial term shall be counted toward the limitation of service.
- Any person whose term ends due to this provision may be reappointed to such Board or Commission after a lapse of 1 year.
Specific to the Natural Resources & Open Space Commission:
- The Mayor, Town Planner and a member of the Legislative Council shall be ex officio members of the Commission, without a vote.
Members of the Natural Resources & Open Space Commission
This commission consists of 11 members. No more than 6 members may be from the same political party.
|Michael F. Horn (Chair)
|William L. Doheny Jr (DDS)
D - Democrat; R - Republican; U - Unaffiliated
Interested In Joining?
If you are looking to get more involved in the Town of Hamden, please join our Boards and Commissions:
If you would like to email the chair of the Natural Resources & Open Space Commission, please email Michael Horn at MHorn_bc@hamden.com.
If you would like to email the Natural Resources & Open Space Commission, please email HBC_NatResources@Hamden.com.