Hamden CERT Emergency Activations
Saturday, June 26, 2021
Hamden Fire Department along with over 7 other Mutual Aid Departments battled a 5 Alarm Fire in a 3 Story Multi-Family Apartment Building at 925 Mix Avenue displacing close to 100 residents! Hamden CERT Members assisted with logistical support during the 8 hour operation.
Close to 100 residents were displaced during and after a fire at an apartment building in Hamden on Saturday night. The Hamden Fire Department was dispatched to the multi-family apartment building at 925 Mix Avenue at 11:34 p.m. This fire incident took the assistance of 7 Local Mutual-Aid Fire Departments that assisted the entire on-duty crew of the Hamden Fire Department. "Thank you to all agencies who assisted at this challenging 8 hour operation!"
Because of the fire, water and smoke damage, all utilities were shut down for the entire building, which includes 57 apartment units. Close to 100 people are displaced and most are staying with friends or family, but the American Red Cross has been brought in to assist, authorities added. Hamden Community Services also opened a temporary Cooling Center at the Keefe Community Center, later on Sunday Morning for close to 35 of the displaced residents. The investigation is ongoing and the restoration of the damaged building will take many months. Hamden CERT Members assisted with Firefighter Rehab, Processing & Relocations of Displaced Tenants and other logistical support functions during the 8 hour incident.
Hamden CERT assisting our 1st Responders and Community during their History of Emergency Activations over the last 17 Years.
Over the last 17 years, Hamden’s CERT members have assisted our community during Fires, Hazardous Material Incidents, Weather Related Emergencies, Mountain Search and Rescues Operations at Sleeping Giant State Park and Emergency Sheltering Operations, Points of Distribution (POD's) for food & medical needs, in addition to the many Planned Community Events that ore held during the year. It was also an honor for the Hamden CERT members to assist at the Kleen Energy Natural Gas Explosion disaster for three days in Middletown, Ct. assisting with security and accountability back on February 7, 2010.
During Tropical Storm Irene in August 2011, we managed and operated our town’s emergency shelter at the high school for over 36 hours. A team of 17 members volunteered over 1200 collective hours of service over a four-day period! After the initial period of sheltering, our team volunteered again during a three-day P.O.D. (Point of Distribution), giving out water and food to displaced residents at the Miller Library and the Keefe Center. During Hurricane Sandy 2012, our team managed shelter operations for a three-day period. Last year, after the Tornado of May 15, 2018, our team staffed an Emergency Storm Center and Point of Distribution at West Woods School for the many victims who suffered severe property damage and loss of utilities for many weeks. Hundreds of gallons of potable water, cases of drinking water, non-perishable foods along with electronic and phone charging stations were provided to the many residents who were impacted. Our team members totaled over 323 service hours during this 3 day operation.
During the early months of 2020, we found ourselves in the heart of the COVID-19 Pandemic, which has changed our lives forever. Starting in mid-March 2020, Hamden CERT Members assisted Hamden Public Schools and Hamden Community Services and gave logistical support to provided Points of Distribution (POD's) for food and grocery items. During this crisis, acting as members of Hamden Emergency Management, we set up another weekly POD for protective equipment (face masks & digital thermometers) for small business owners! Our members also provided deliveries of grocery items to homebound elderly residents. In conjunction with Hamden Elderly Services, these deliveries became a weekly routine. Over a 16-week period, Hamden CERT Members volunteered over 900 Service Hours to assist our town agencies along with our community during the national emergency.
Hamden CERT Services are provided to our community on a totally volunteer basis 24/7 at no cost to the taxpayers. We strive to make a difference in our community and to provide our support when the need is the greatest. Our Team is made up of many different individuals with a variety of different qualifications. The one common thread is that we all benefit from serving our neighbors and residents when the need is paramount. While doing this, it is always an honor to work alongside our Professional Police and Fire Personnel who are dedicated to our safety and to a better life for all of us.
For just a glance at some of CERT's Emergency Activations, see below. To find more information, visit www.hamdencert.com.
Hamden CERT responded Wednesday, September 30, 2020 @ 14:24 hours to a
On Friday, November 8, 2019 @ 2:51 am - A Working Fire at a Private Dwelling, Hamden Firefighters contained the fire to the owner's vehicle and garage of the 1 Family Private Dwelling. Eight residents were displaced due to the fire and smoke damage.
Earlier today, November 08, 2019; the Hamden Fire Department was dispatched (02:51 AM) to a fire at 89 Stanley Road. Engine 2 arrived first on scene within 2 minutes of the dispatch (02:53 AM). Engine 2 reported heavy fire coming from an attached garage of a one story ranch style home. The fire in the garage was quickly knocked down by suppression crews. There was a heavy smoke condition throughout the home as crews checked for fire extension in the bedrooms directly above the fire. Eight people were displaced from the home as a result of the fire including seven family members and a family friend. They are staying with family until they can reoccupy the house.
Hamden CERT was notified by Central Communications and activated to assist with firefighter rehabilitation and any relocation services needed by the occupants. CERT Personnel assisted on scene and were released at 05:50 hours.
On Friday, April 19, 2019 @ 2:28 PM, a Working Fire at a Private Dwelling, Hamden Firefighters contained the fire to the attic and roof area of the 1 Family Private Dwelling. Three residents were displaced due to the fire and smoke damage.
At 2:28PM, Firefighters were dispatched to 17 Grafton Road for a reported residential house fire. Companies arriving on scene at 2:31 reported heavy smoke from the attic. A family of three, home at the time, did not realize an attic fire was burning overhead. All occupants escaped with no injuries. The fire was declared under control at 2:57PM. There were no HFD injuries reported. The Fire Marshal is investigating the cause of the fire. Hamden CERT was activated to assist at the scene and support the Gross Decontamination and Rehab Services for the firefighters.