Board of Assessment Appeals
This Board’s purpose is to hear taxpayer appeals regarding the valuation of taxable property.
This Board meets twice a year in March and September, except when noted, at Hamden Government Center, First Floor Conference Room, 2750 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden CT 06518. *Meetings may be held virtually on Zoom. Check agenda for more information.
Agendas & Minutes
Town Charter Rules Regarding Boards & Commissions:
The following is per our Town’s Charter:
- Minority Party Representation: The political affiliation of the members of all appointed Boards or Commissions or panel of alternates shall reflect the requirements of the General Statutes with respect to minority party representation.
- Geographical Areas of the Town: Best efforts shall be made to avoid the appointment of more than 1 member from the same Legislative Council District; however, under no circumstance shall more than 2 members be appointed from the same Legislative Council District.
- Youth Representation: There shall be 2 non-voting positions on each Board and Commission for youths in the Town, ages 15 through 18, regardless of their status in a public or private high school, and they shall be residents of the Town.
- Dual Appointment: No person may serve as an appointed member of more than one Board or Commission at the same time, with the exception of a Charter Revision Commission, other Boards or Commissions of finite duration, or appointment as a representative of the Town on regional entities.
- Limitations of Service: On and after December 1st, 2023:
- No person shall be appointed to a term on any Board or Commission if, at the time of the commencement of such new term, such person shall have served 12 consecutive years on such Board or Commission or, if during the subsequent term, said appointment would result in service in excess of said limitation of service.
- This limitation of service shall be applied to members of Boards and Commissions serving at the effective date of this provision.
- The time served by a person filling a partial term shall be counted toward the limitation of service.
- Any person whose term ends due to this provision may be reappointed to such Board or Commission after a lapse of 1 year.
Specific to the Board of Assessment Appeals:
- No person holding an elective, appointive or salaried office or position in the Town shall be eligible to serve on the Board of Assessment Appeals.
Members of the Board of Assessment Appeals
This board consists of 3 members and 2 alternates. No more than 2 members may be from the same political party.
|James Pascarella (Chair)
|John DeNicola, III
D - Democrat; R - Republican; U - Unaffiliated
Interested In Joining?
If you are looking to get more involved in the Town of Hamden, please join our Boards and Commissions:
If you would like to email the chair of the Board of Assessment Appeals, please email James Pascarella at Jpascarella_BC@hamden.com.
If you would like to email the Board of Assessment Appeals, please email HBC_AssessmentAppeals@Hamden.com.