The Legislative Council passed a resolution creating a Fiscal Stability Committee Monday, August 3, 2020. This committee will be comprised of equal portions of members of the Town Administration, or their designees, the Legislative Council, and the public. This is a critically important committee that is tasked with helping to guide the Town of Hamden to a better fiscal future. This committee needs three volunteers from the community with skill sets in finance, management, and large-scales organizations.
If you are interested in serving on this committee, please email a letter of interest and resume to Kim Renta at Krenta@hamden.com by Friday 8/14. This committee will serve until its findings and reports have been delivered to the Legislative Council and Administration.
The Committee will create a phased set of short and long term goals and recommendations for the Legislative Council and the Administration to act on, including, but not limited to:
- Identification of $6 million in savings for FY 2020-2021 by November 2020, including efficiencies, review of third party contracts and restructuring of government services;
- Recommendations to the Mayor for the FY 2021-2022 proposed budget;
- Review of all collective bargaining agreements, in order to evaluate current contractual provisions and financial obligations such as overtime, sick leave accumulation, comp time, minimum staffing requirements, special allowances, reimbursements, special pay provisions, etc in order to make recommendations regarding Union concessions for FY20-21 as well as restructuring contractual provisions for future contract negotiations;
- Consolidation of services and properties;
- Municipal properties: Ice Rink and LV contracts, transfer station – scale, fuel-master, Church Street – investigate (BOE 3R), Putnam Ave, Inventory of town assets (develop our village clusters and canal trail 21st century),
- Find ways to contribute to the fund balance and devise a strategy for building the fund.
If you have experience and skills sets that could assist the Town in this important endeavor, please consider joining this committee.