2021 SPRING BULK TRASH CURBSIDE COLLECTION WILL NOT OCCUR
Residents Encouraged to Utilize Extended Weekend Transfer Station Hours
Hamden – Residents are reminded that Hamden’s semi-annual bulk trash collection service, which typically occurred throughout the months of April and October, was cancelled due to financial cuts made to this year’s budget.
“Curbside bulk trash pick-up is a valuable service that many families, especially working families count on. I am hopeful that the Council and my Office can work together to bring back a curbside pick-up service in the upcoming budget, which would fund July 2021 to June 30, 2022,” said Mayor Curt Balzano Leng.
Hamden residents wishing to dispose of bulk trash items must do so by visiting the Hamden Transfer Station or by arranging a private commercial pickup/disposal of your bulk trash items. While normally closed, Public Works is offering regular Saturday hours at the Transfer Station on the following dates: April 24th, May 1st, May 8th in accordance with contractual hours for the annual Spring Leaf & Brush Collection. Residents are advised to take advantage of these additional hours. Further details regarding potential bulk trash collections for 2021 will be announced when/if available.
Bulk Trash Items which will no longer be picked up curbside include:
1) mattresses; 2) furniture; 3) rugs; 4) household appliances (washers, dryers, air conditioners, stoves, refrigerators, freezers, toasters, lamps, microwaves); 5) light and heavy iron goods; 6) metal items
As a reminder, the following items are never accepted during regular trash collection.
- hazardous waste including oil-based paint, pesticides, pool chemicals, household cleaners, anti-freeze, aerosols, batteries, gasoline, motor oil (contact HazWaste Central at 203-401-2712)
- remodeling, construction and demolition debris from any structure or part thereof, (homeowner must rent a dumpster)
- plumbing fixtures, sinks and pipes; (a single unit or fixture may be accepted at the Hamden Transfer Station)
- tires (a limit of 4 tires per year may be brought to the Hamden Transfer Station)
- vehicle parts, lawnmowers and other gas-powered equipment (remove all fluids from engines, dispose of fluids at HazWaste Central and dispose of equipment at a junkyard or metal recycling facility)
- branches, grass, leaves, tree stumps, rocks, sand, and dirt (contact Public Works at (203) 287-2600 for specific guidelines);
- propane tanks (accepted at most home improvement stores);
- computers, televisions and other electronics (bring to Hamden Transfer Station for recycling – be sure to remove the hard drive on your computers first);
- pool covers (accepted at the Hamden Transfer Station).
The Hamden Transfer Station is located at 231 Wintergreen Avenue, Hamden, CT 06518 (NOTE: if using GPS, program in New Haven, or you will end up in the wrong location) and can be reached at 203-387-2435. Transfer Station Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:30am-11:30am and 12:30pm-3:00pm.
If you have any questions, please contact Public Works at 203-287-2600