HAMDEN BULK TRASH COLLECTION RETURNS
SEPTEMBER 2021 / APRIL 2022
HAMDEN – Mayor Curt Balzano Leng, Public Works Director Craig Cesare, and the Hamden Legislative Council are pleased to inform Hamden residents that the popular semi-annual bulk trash pick-up program will return to Hamden this September, 2021 (the second collection will occur in April, 2022). Hamden residents may put bulk trash curbside in front of their homes anytime between September 1st and September 30th. Acceptable items will be picked up by Hamden’s trash hauler throughout the entire month of September. No phone calls or appointments are necessary. Residents are urged to have bulk at the curb by or before their last regular refuse pick-up day for the month of September. Please remember to place bulk trash away from Town-issued trash and recycling carts and do not place any regular refuse with the bulk trash.
Commenting, Mayor Curt Balzano Leng said, “Residents count on bulk-trash collection, and I am very pleased we’ve returned this service to Hamden. I thank the Legislative Council for their support of the program, Hamden Public Works for working with our trash hauler, and to the Hamden residents who expressed their support in returning the service to our budget."
Acceptable items (150 pounds or less) are: 1) mattresses/box spring (one of each per household) 2) furniture; 3) rugs (must be rolled up and tied like a log; no longer than four feet in length); 4) household appliances (washers, dryers, air conditioners, stoves, refrigerators, freezers, toasters, lamps, microwaves); Note: State Law requires the removal of air-tight doors on refrigerators and other appliances; 5) light and heavy iron goods; 6) metal items (place at one end of the pile for separate scrap metal pick-up).
PLEASE NOTE THE LIMIT OF 1 MATTRESS DISPOSAL PER HOUSEHOLD
THIS IS A COST-SAVINGS MEASURE, IMPLEMENTED DUE TO EXPENSES INCURRED BY DISPOSAL.
NON-SOILED MATTRESSES MAY BE BROUGHT TO THE HAMDEN TRANSFER STATION FOR DISPOSAL
Unacceptable items are:
- Hazardous waste including oil-based paint, pesticides, pool chemicals, household cleaners, anti-freeze, aerosols, batteries, gasoline, motor oil (contact HazWaste Central at 203-401-2712);
- Remodeling, construction and demolition debris from any structure or part thereof, (homeowner must rent a dumpster);
- Plumbing fixtures, sinks and pipes; a single unit or fixture may be accepted at the Hamden Transfer Station;
- Tires (a limit of 4 tires per year may be brought to the Hamden Transfer Station, address below);
- Vehicle parts, lawnmowers and other gas-powered equipment (remove all fluids from engines, dispose of fluids at HazWaste Central and dispose of equipment at a junkyard or metal recycling facility, for more details please contact Joe DeRisi at 203-287-7021 or via email at: email@example.com);
- Branches, grass, leaves, tree stumps, rocks, sand, and dirt (contact Public Works at 203-287-2600 for specific guidelines);
- Propane tanks (accepted at Eastern Fuel in Hamden or Agway in North Haven - $6.00 fee);
- Computers, televisions and other electronics (bring to Hamden Transfer Station for recycling – be sure to remove the hard drive on your computers first);
- Pool covers (accepted at the Hamden Transfer Station).
The Hamden Transfer Station is located at 231 Wintergreen Avenue, Hamden, CT 06518 and is open Monday through Friday, 7:30am-11:30am and 12:30pm-3:00pm and the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month from 8:00am - 11:45am. Starting July 3rd, the Transfer Station will be open on only the 1st Saturday of every month.