Bulk Trash Pick-Up Begins April 1st
Hamden – The bulk trash pick-up program for Hamden will be in effect April 1st.
Hamden residents may put bulk trash curbside in front of their homes anytime between April 1st and April 30th. Acceptable items will be picked up by Hamden’s trash hauler throughout the entire month of April. No phone calls or appointments are necessary. Residents are urged to have bulk at the curb by or before their last regular refuse pick-up day for the month of April. Please remember to place bulk trash away from Town-issued trash and recycling carts and do not place any regular refuse with the bulk trash.
BULK TRASH MUST BE SEPARATED FROM THE ONGOING LEAF & BRUSH COLLECTION.
LEAVES MUST GO INTO PAPER RECYCLABLE BAGS.
BRUSH MUST BE CONTAINED IN SMALL BUNDLES NO LONGER THAN FOUR (4) FEET IN LENGTH.
IF ITEMS ARE NOT SEPARATED, THEY WILL NOT BE COLLECTED.
Acceptable items (150 pounds or less) are: 1) mattresses and box springs (one mattress and box spring per household); 2) furniture; 3) rugs (must be rolled up and tied like a log; no longer than four feet in length); 4) household appliances (washers, dryers, air conditioners, stoves, refrigerators, freezers, toasters, lamps, microwaves); Note: State Law requires the removal of air-tight doors on refrigerators and other appliances; 5) light and heavy iron goods; and 6) metal items (place at one end of the pile for separate scrap metal pick-up).
PLEASE NOTE THE LIMIT OF 1 MATTRESS AND 1 BOX SPRING DISPOSAL PER HOUSEHOLD
THIS IS A COST-SAVINGS MEASURE, IMPLEMENTED DUE TO EXPENSES INCURRED BY DISPOSAL
NON-SOILED MATTRESSES MAY BE BROUGHT TO THE HAMDEN TRANSFER STATION FOR RECYCLING
Unacceptable items are:
- Hazardous waste including oil-based paint, pesticides, pool chemicals, household cleaners, anti-freeze, aerosols, batteries, gasoline, motor oil (contact HazWaste Central at 203-401-2712);
- Remodeling, construction and demolition debris from any structure or part thereof (homeowner must rent a dumpster);
- Plumbing fixtures, sinks and pipes; a single unit or fixture may be accepted at the Hamden Transfer Station;
- Tires (a limit of 4 tires per year may be brought to the Hamden Transfer Station);
- Vehicle parts, lawnmowers and other gas-powered equipment (remove all fluids from engines, dispose of fluids at HazWaste Central and dispose of equipment at a junkyard or metal recycling facility, for more details please contact Joe DeRisi at 203-287-7021 or via email at: email@example.com);
- Branches, grass, leaves, tree stumps, rocks, sand, and dirt (contact Public Works at 203-287-2600 for specific guidelines);
- Propane tanks;
- Computers, televisions and other electronics (bring to Hamden Transfer Station for recycling – be sure to remove the hard drive on your computers first); and
- Pool covers (accepted at the Hamden Transfer Station).
The entrance to the Hamden Transfer Station is located at 231 Wintergreen Avenue, New Haven, CT. It is open Monday through Friday, 7:30am-11:30am and 12:30pm-3:00pm and the 1st Saturday of each month from 8:00am - 11:45am.
If you think you have items that can be reused or recycled, here is a list of organizations that take donations: https://housing.yale.edu/sites/default/files/files/TheDownsizingDonationGuide.pdf
For further information, please contact the Public Works Department at 203-287-2600.